Pages

Thursday 18 July 2013

Hello again!! I have missed my regular blogging and am happy to be at it again. So, if you will bear with me, I would like to post all the photographs I took while in the Eastern Cape, over the next few days; especially Nieu Bethesda. What a quaint little village and as you drive down the mountain pass, you feel as if you are stepping back in time. Most of the buildings are very old, properties are large and the residents so friendly... with all the time in the world to chat, serve you and just....BE!!! How fortunate they are. There are quite a few artists who have settled in there and they say they got tired of the 'rat-race', crime and stress in the city and larger towns and are living a full and productive life in the Karoo.

I fell in love with the old water mill which doesn't seem to be operational any longer, but she's still so beautiful! Wish somebody would restore her back to her former beauty! That's the one sad thing about many South Africans..... They are not as passionate about preserving their history and old buildings like the Europeans! Even though our history does not date back  many centuries, we don't seem to be bothered about preserving the little that we have.  What legacy are we going to leave for the future generations?

I plan on blogging about the 2 houses we have purchased in Aberdeen in the E.Cape, one of these days and plan on taking you on the journey we have set out for ourselves; from the purchase of the properties to the final product. We hope to restore the 2 houses to their former glory, with a few minor and major changes. It's terribly exciting and I trust you will enjoy it as much as I do!

For now...... enjoy Nieu Bethesda!





































2 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos & information - thanks for sharing my dear, always a pleasure xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to comment, Dee! Please go back to the "Owl House" as I have edited it.

      Delete